It’s rare that I receive such an outpouring of response, but when I published several Bible verses to help overcome discouragement, it resonated with a lot of people. I shared my past struggle with finding joy and the way I’ve wrestled with discouragement. Almost immediately, responses like these started pouring in:
- My marriage is joyless. I’m giving up hope.
- I’m in a dark place, grieving the loss of my purpose.
- I’ve been dominated by a spirit of discouragement for many weeks.
- My heart is broken. I feel nothing but despair.
- I’m a weeping mess.
These responses are from real people, experiencing an overwhelming sense of heartache, each seeking to overcome discouragement and embrace the joy of the Lord. I know how it feels to walk through heavy seasons of discouragement. Perhaps you do too. Maybe you’re there now. One woman asked, “do you have any pearls?” As I responded to her question, I suggested two simple practices that I’ll now share with you now. I pray their focus on God and His goodness will offer encouragement to you, or help you share the burden of a friend or loved one who is struggling.
How Do You Overcome Discouragement?
My first suggestion: Turn to the Scriptures when discouraged. There are many examples of discouragement in the Bible, along with stories of hope and healing for those afflicted. I recommend creating some note cards with Bible verses about discouragement and hanging them where you’ll see them often. They will remind you of God’s TRUTH in your situation. For example, if you’re feeling hopeless, write out Romans 15:13 on a card and place it where you’ll see it and read it often. Let it’s truth penetrate your heart and mind. This will require:
- naming each “category” of discouragement that you are experiencing by asking the Lord to help you identify those areas.
- finding a Bible passage on discouragement that dispels the lies of the enemy and points to God’s truth. Again, ask the Lord to help you identify the verses then find them. (Google is also a good tool. Type in “what does the Bible say about discouragement”).
- taking the time to write out the verses.
- committing to memorize the verses so that when you’re not near your notecards you can still resist the enemy with the power of God’s truth.
The more I considered this option for my hurting friends, the stronger I felt the Lord prompt me to compile a collection of Bible verses to help uplift anyone facing a difficult season of discouragement. Here they are:
15 Bible Verses About Discouragement:
Isaiah 41:10 Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will hold on to you with my righteous right hand.
Romans 15:13 Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you believe so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Lamentations 3:22-24 Because of the LORD’s faithful love we do not perish, for his mercies never end. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness! I say, “The LORD is my portion, therefore I will put my hope in him.”
Hebrews 10:23 Let us hold on to the confession of our hope without wavering since he who promised is faithful.
Psalm 33:22 May your faithful love rest on us, LORD, for we put our hope in you.
Romans 8:31 What then are we to say about these things? If God is for us, who is against us?
2 Chronicles 20:15 This is what the Lord says, “Do not be afraid or discouraged . . . for the battle is not yours, but God’s.”
To bring us to 15 Bible verses about discouragement, I’ve collected eight additional verses and designed them into printable notecards that you can carry with you or post in a prominent location. If you’d like your own copy, please complete the information below and I’ll send them straight to your email inbox!